Heel pain makes every aspect of your life more difficult, for this chronic discomfort can make, exercising, walking, and even standing so painful that won't want to move from your couch. Fortunately, treatments offered by your Rockland County, NY, podiatrist, Dr. Denis LeBlang, can help ease your heel pain and get you back on your feet!
Why do I have heel pain?
Heel pain can be caused by a variety of injuries and conditions. Training for too long, at too hard of a pace, or while wearing poorly fitting shoes can all lead to stress fractures, heel spurs, bursitis, or Achilles tendinitis. Aging can also be a factor in plantar fasciitis, but this painful condition can also occur if you spend long hours standing at work every day. Other causes of heel pain can include bruises in the fat pat under your heel, fractures, or deep cracks in the skin covering your heels.
How do podiatrists treat heel pain?
Your Rockland County foot doctor offers a variety of treatments and devices that will help relieve your pain, including:
- Casts, Walking Boots and Crutches: Staying off your feet is important if you have heel pain, however, work and family obligations can often make it difficult to get enough rest. Casts, walking boots, and crutches all relieve pressure on your heel, allowing it to heal.
- Night Splints: A night splint may be recommended if you have plantar fasciitis. The condition occurs when the tough band of tissue that connects your toes and heels become inflamed. Wearing a splint at night stretches the fascia and relieves pain.
- Orthotics and Heel Cups: Orthotic and heel cups are shoe inserts that are specially designed for you by your podiatrist. Orthotics realign, support, and cushion the foot, while heel cups add extra padding to help absorb shock in the heel area.
- Corticosteroid Injections: A corticosteroid injection may be helpful if your pain doesn't improve with pain medications alone.
- Ultrasound or Shockwave Therapy: Depending on the cause of your heel pain, your foot doctor may recommend ultrasound or shockwave therapy. These therapies may reduce inflammation and pain while also improving blood flow to your heel.
Need relief? Give us a call
Are you tired of living with heel pain? Call your Rockland County, NY, podiatrist, Dr. Denis LeBlang, at (845) 268-8282 to schedule an appointment at his Congers office.